I believe that there are definitely fundamentals or principles of effective marketing writing that help increase results. They include, but are not limited to…
- Thinking through the marketing strategy before you begin writing
- Developing a good, strong offer
- Developing a relationship with the reader by speaking to only one person at a time
- Using plain language – writing like you talk
- Answering the who, what, when, where, how and why so that every nuance of your offer is perfectly clear
- Using stories that people can relate to and identify with
- Not just solving a problem, but eliminating pain
- Creating a sense of urgency
- Asking for the sale (or for the reader to take the next step)
I’ll see if any participants want to challenge me on these or add some others this coming Friday.
MarketVid, The International Marketing Video Association, has invited me to be their guest on an upcoming 30-minute live Friday Webchat to talk about marketing writing and how it’s different from other forms of writing.
I hope you’ll join me for this live Friday Webchat on Friday, February 17, at 2:30 ET. To learn more and to register, click here. There’s no charge for the Webchat, but registration is required.